Home   Forums          

User Name, FTP Access and index.html enquiry

Need help or want to ask us or the rest of the members a question ? Would you like to make a comment or suggestion ? You can do it here.

Re: User Name, FTP Access and index.html enquiry

Postby geocities.ws » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:49 am

Dear Happyhill,

1) Could you please advise if I would like to change my User Name in geocities.ws account?
We are currently working in a Control Panel that, among MANY other very interesting features, will allow you to change many features from you account including your password, etc ... but not the username :-( . Changing the username has to be done manually. Basically you have to :
1- Create a new account with the new username you'd like to have.
2- Provide us the account you want us to use as source.
3- We will copy all the contents from the source account provided in 2) to the new account.

2) I tried to access from 3rd party web base ftp to geocities.ws but error: Unable to connect to FTP server ftp.geocities.ws,
or can I install a FTP Software in my computer to link my geocities.ws server, please advise.
This is correct, for the moment it is not possible to access your account via FTP. We really wanted to enable FTP and in fact in one or two occasions we said that FTP was going to be available soon. However during the FTP implementation analysis stage we found out that, because the way our File Manager works, we cannot enable direct FTP access without creating security risks/issues for the systems and the user's information :-( . We apologize for this. We plan to solve this of course, but it won't be in the short term.

3) I found there are 2 index file (index.html & index-2.html), do I need to keep both of this file? what if I want to edit the file? which one should I select?
You have full control and can edit all the files you see in the file manager. I really don't know what index-2.html is doing there, it might have been created by our scripts when archiving the files from geocities. In any case just check it and if you find it is useless for you, you can delete it.

Thank you very much and please contacat us if you have any more questions or comments.
geocities.ws
Site Admin

Postby geocities.ws » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:52 am

Dear Happyhill :

According to your instructions we have copied all the contents from happyhill2003 to happyhill :-)

It depends on you if you'd like to keep hapyhill 2003 ownership or not. Whatever you decide is ok for us. If you'd like us to, we could create an automatic redirection so, everyone entering happyhill2003 could be automatically redirected to your new site happyhill.

Please let us know

Thanks for your words :-)
geocities.ws
Site Admin

Postby geocities.ws » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:36 am

Dear arenas,

We have copied all the contents from http://www.geocities.ws/arnold_at_home to http://www.geocities.ws/arenas/arnold_at_home :-D

Regarding FTP access, we really wanted to enable FTP and in fact in one or two occasions we said that FTP was going to be available soon. However during the FTP implementation analysis stage we found out that, because the way our File Manager works, we cannot enable direct FTP access without creating security risks/issues for the systems and the user's information :-(

We apologize for this. We plan to solve this of course, but it won't be in the short term.

Thanks.
geocities.ws
Site Admin

Postby geocities.ws » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:17 am

Dear Arenas

In a future we will be introducing an "almost free" hosting service which will contain all the features our free hosting service contains (including unlimited disk space) plus the possibility to have your website with your own domain name :-)

About your other issue, we haven't forgot about it and we keep on working on it. Please be patient we'll give you an answer soon.

Thanks.
geocities.ws
Site Admin

Postby geocities.ws » Tue May 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi Abbie

The forum is mainly intended as a means to support our users and people needing help with their sites.

For the moment at least, as you can see by the posts, it´s not an open, general, massive forum and most answers come directly from us as most of the questions are directed to ourselves, seeking for help or support. As a result of this, we are continuously monitoring the forums both seeking for people needing our help and for inappropriate posts to delete. This basically means that vague or general posts intended only to give a site back links are detected immediately, the post is deleted and the user is banned.

So to answer your question, if your posts are genuine and you have a sig link, we are ok with that, but if you want to use this forum just to promote your site by getting backlinks from the sig link, then we´d recommend that you try other, less monitored and more open forums.

Best regards
geocities.ws
Site Admin

Return to Help, Questions, Comments & Suggestions